Sunday, May 17, 2009

Seriously, we need to get rid of the HR Department...Seriously


What I dislike about HR departments could fill several volumes, but 2 things have made me angry in the past week that I will now share:

1) Companies apparently have so many willing applicants now that they can act like total a-holes and no one can do anything about it.  I had a phone interview scheduled with a company (we'll just call them Initech - the evil corporation from Office Space) for last Monday morning at 8 a.m.  I had to wake up all early, drink my coffee, do research on the company, yada yada...8 rolls around and no one calls.  Several hours later I get an e-mail saying that they would like to reschedule for the next day - this time at 8:30 a.m.  Ok, whatever, I can't really say anything, so I guess that's ok.  Next day rolls around, I wait, and no one calls!  I called them at 9:15, no answer.  Finally, again, several hours later I get an e-mail - at least this time they apologized.  Their e-mail was down...and this apparently also prevented the phones from working?  So we reschedule a third phone interview - this one actually happens (yay!), and at the end, the recruiter says I should hear from her at the end of the day.  That was Wednesday.  Today is Sunday.  Not a word.  <------ EPIC EPIC USELESS SODDING FAIL!

2) I applied to do part-time accounts receivable work for a national coffee chain (we'll call them Initech and Tea Leaf).  They e-mailed me the next day and wanted me to "prove" that I really wanted to do the job by sending them my phone number and address - this despite the fact that all that info was on the resume I already sent them.  I thought this was hinky, so I googled the company name and "scam", "fraud", "douchebaggery", etc. - nothing came up, so I figured it was ire.  I sent them my address and phone number, and got a whole bunch of other weird e-mails from the company, so I got fed up and called corporate.  "Oh yeah, we know there's a scammer using our name.  Put out a press release?  On the internet?  That's a great idea!"  

Oy vey - one day I hope I'm stupid enough to get a job in human resources!  I'll just keep banging my head against the wall until I dislodge my frontal lobe...and then recruiter position here I come!    

1 comment:

  1. Completely identify with
    your stories about job searching --- so many people are using the recession as a rationalization to be cruel, inhumane jerks.

    ReplyDelete